June 10, 2012 9:36:37 PM CDT
I was doing some reading on the Armor of God and I wanted to pass my thoughts along:
- Gird/Belt of Truth: Soliders belts provided some protection for their waist, very important at preventing disabling injuries. The Gird/Belt of Truth helps us from being disabled by worldly lies.
- Breastplate of Righteousness: The breastplate protects the vital organs, helping to keep a solider alive. TheBreastplate of Righteousness is our last line of defense for our hearts; it is not our righteousness, but Christ's.
- Shoes/Sandles of Preparation of the Gospel of Peace: Having a good pair of shoes to protect your feet allows you to focus on the fight, not on sharp objects on the ground. In the same way, the Shoes/Sandles of Preparation of the Gospel of Peace allow us to ignore life's distractions.
- Shield of Faith: Ah, one of the most misrepresented pieces of the armor. Most people view the shield as solely a defensive weapon. It can (and was) used not only for defense, but for offense as well. Think of it, its basically a large metal club. The Shield of Faith is our first line of defense and can be used to push back the enemey's attacks.
- Helmet of Salvation: It is often said a solider's best weapon is his mind. Without his helmet, his mind is exposed. The Helmet of Salvation protects our minds from Satan's devious deceptions.
- The Sword of the Spirit: An offensive and defensive weapon, the sword was one of the soldiers' best friends. The Sword of the Spirit is the word of God, something Satan can not stand.
- Cloak of Zeal: Wait a minute, Ephesians stops with the sword! Your right, Paul stops at 6. However, Isaiah 59:17 provides a cross reference to the breastplate and helmet and it introduces the Cloak of Zeal. A solider's cloak provided protection from the wind, rain, cold, and served as a blanket for sleeping. Likewise, the Cloak of Zeal helps keep our morale up as we fight for the Lord.
Does anyone know of any other parts? I never knew there was a 7th, but given the pattern of 7s in the Bible, it seems pretty obvious that it is possible. Any one have a verse for #8?